Put your winning personality to good use.
Keep up to date with Radon TEE on facebook at www.facebook.com/radontee
Today, it is difficult to find anyone whose life has not been affected by radon-induced lung cancer. Sadly, most people have no idea the impact radon has had on their life, or the life of someone they love. The simple fact is: Each day, radon-induced lung cancer claims more than 57 lives in the United States. This year alone, more than 21,000 men and women will fall victim to this deadly disease. Radon Tee: World Trek brings social awareness to communities through the power of photos, videos and personal stories to prevent radon-induced lung cancer.
- Naturally-occurring, cancer-causing radioactive gas found in toxic levels in every state.
- Leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, second overall to smoking—attributed to 1 in 7 of all lung cancer deaths.
- Enters homes through cracks and other openings—can become trapped in dangerous levels.
- Recommended by US Surgeon General and EPA to fix homes with levels above 4.0 pico curies per liter of air (pCi/L).
- Nationwide, 1 in 15 homes contain toxic radon levels above 4.0 pCi/L.
- Exposure can be limited through proven, cost-effective testing and mitigation techniques.
How does Radon Tee: World Trek work?
The project harnesses the power of social media by posting photos and videos of ordinary people appearing with Radon Tee, a special t-shirt designed for Cancer Survivors Against Radon (CanSAR™) by a group of eighth grade students from Illinois. As Radon Tee treks around the world, social content is posted to its Facebook™ and Twitter™ profiles, where its fans can see others who support radon awareness and learn about the importance of testing their own homes for radon.
Awareness materials are made available at all Radon Tee events. To help promote testing, a discount test kit coupon is provided. A t-shirt commemorating Radon Tee’s ‘world trek’ is also available for a minimum contribution to assist CanSAR in continuing its fight to prevent radon-induced lung cancer.
How do I participate in the project?
- Commit to appearing with Radon Tee for a photo or video shot, or to tell your own story
- Become involved – sponsor or host a Radon Tee event in your community
- Become a Radon Tee fan or follower:
- Test your home for radon—encourage testing throughout your community
- Tell others about Radon Tee—invite their participation in the project
- Help CanSAR continue its fight to prevent radon-induced lung cancer by volunteering your time or making a financial contribution
Contact Radon Tee to learn more about how you can become a part of World Trek and help prevent radon-induced lung cancer.
1 US Environmental Protection Agency. A Citizens Guide to Radon. EPA 402-K-09-001, January 2009.
Your participation in Radon Tee: World Trek can help prevent radon-induced lung cancer.