My name is Elizabeth Hoffmann and I’m a survivor of Radon induced lung cancer. Although, I have never smoked, my 15-year exposure to dangerous levels of radon in my home resulted in doctors having to remove the cancerous lower lobe of my left lung prior to my 38th birthday.
Lucky for me, they caught my cancer early. The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and EPA blame Radon for the deaths of 21,000 Americans every year; but, their deaths, like my cancer, could have been prevented. A simple Radon test at the time we bought our home in 1988 would have alerted me to fix our house before we moved in. If I’d only known…
Since few oncologists provide a potential explanation for the cause, most non-smokers diagnosed with lung cancer never make a connection to Radon exposure. I would remain clueless myself, if it hadn’t been for the determination of my family to find out why. My cousin mentioned Radon to my father, who tested my house upon my return from the hospital.
The purpose of this website is two-fold: First, to put a face on Radon, empowering individuals of an apparent Radon-induced lung cancer (and their families) with a voice. While it is obviously too late to prevent our cancer, our stories can convince others to take action against deadly Radon exposure by testing and fixing. We can also help shape public policy by educating lawmakers and government agencies on the real danger of Radon gas and encourage them to treat the Radon issue and lung cancer with the seriousness they deserve.
Second, to prevent lung cancer patients from remaining clueless. If you or a family member has been recently diagnosed with lung cancer, it is imperative that you test your home for Radon. We will mail one free Radon test kit to a lung cancer patient or immediate family member. Simply join CanSAR (there is no fee) by registering, providing us with some basic information, and placing your order.
If you determine Radon is the likely cause of your lung cancer, we’ll simply invite you to come forward and share your story. Together, we can make a difference for generations to come.
Doctors Warn of the Need For Prevention
“People come into my office and say Doc Price I just don’t understand it. How can this happen to me? I don’t smoke. Nobody ever smokes around me. How can I have lung cancer?
While it is true that most of my lung cancer patients have had a lot of tobacco exposure, the ones that are especially sad are the people who have never smoked, have never been around secondhand smoke, who have lived “good clean lives” and lo and behold, they have a cold or bronchitis, and the chest x-ray and the cat scan show they have lung cancer.
But, it is really hard to convince the public that Radon is a problem when the nation’s leading housing authority, HUD, refuses to take action to prevent Radon exposure. They require a termite letter to qualify for a mortgage, yet to my knowledge a termite never killed anybody. Why are they not requiring a Radon test?
HUD is required by law to provide safe, livable housing. They are ignoring a very serious public health issue.”
Dr. Lane Mathis Price, MD
Medical Director & Radiation Oncologist
Decatur General Oncology Center
“We know the direct association between Radon and lung cancer. But to the people at risk, it’s a totally unperceivable problem because you can’t feel it; you don’t smell it and you don’t see it.
Lung cancer kills more Americans each year (160,000) than breast, prostate and colorectal cancers combined. The EPA estimates 21,000 of them are the result of Radon-induced lung cancer. That’s nearly 60 per day!”
Dr. Rodney Landrenau, MD
Director of the Comprehensive Lung Center
University of Pittsburg Medical Center
“Never underestimate the importance of prevention in all aspects of your life. If you’re a lung cancer victim aware of all the ways it is impacting you and your family – you’d be kicking yourself if you knew something a simple as a Radon detection device would have allowed you to prevent this from occurring.”
Dr. Michael Dick, MD
Director of Internal Medicine
Decatur Adult Medicine